ALKO Torsion Suspension Durability

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 13:31
ThreadID: 20932 Views:15637 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Folks
I have been looking at the Jurgens Xplorer van and my impressions are generally positive although I thought the plumbing (gas/water) and electrics were rather rough, eg battery not held down, wiring not secured etc.. The chassis and overall construction however looked very solid. All in all it seems an attractive top end "camper trailer" for two people.
My request to the forum is:
IsShould I be concerned about the durability of the ALKO torsion suspension, ie prone to sand ingress, very hard to repair.
Any views on the suitability and reliability of ALKO torsion suspension for moderate off road use would be gratefully received.
The Xplorer is rated at a AGM of 1560kg and the axle rated at 1800kg.
tks
pce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:56

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:56
The axle is under sized ..... in Victoria the axle capacity must be at least 120% 0f the ATM ( Aggregate Trailer Mass). So, at 1560kg ATM the axle must be a minimum of 1872kg, so really it should have a 2 tonne Alko axle under it.

BUT .... be very careful as these assemblies are vitrually irrepairable anywhere, but in the Al-Ko factory........ "Be warned"
AnswerID: 100995

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:52

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:52
We had one on a Jayco van a while back, it failed on the first trip because the van weighed more empty than the gross axle load. It was replaced with a heavier duty alko axle which also failed after a few years. before it failed though the wheels were tracking funny and flogged the tyres out quite rapidly.
As has been mentioned they are virtually unrepairable, definitely so on the side of the road as once the inner square tube has been forced past the rubber bits in the outer there is no way to get it back.
AnswerID: 101012

Reply By: Rod - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 15:51

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 15:51
Hi

Saw a CT broken down on the GRR with an ALKO suspension. Not sure of the exact type but the owner said it was they type that has a block of rubber that takes the shock of a bump. Apparently the rubber had given way.

I decided never to use that type of axle on an offroad CT.
AnswerID: 101134

Reply By: flappa - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:18

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:18
Quote: We had one on a Jayco van a while back, it failed on the first trip because the van weighed more empty than the gross axle load. It was replaced with a heavier duty alko axle which also failed after a few years. before it failed though the wheels were tracking funny and flogged the tyres out quite rapidly.

Thats interesting.

My parents just had an accident with their Phoenix Offroad van , when the wheel sheared off. It had ALKO suspension , and had been back a number of times for fixes because it kept flogging the tyres out.
AnswerID: 101138

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 00:24

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 00:24
Remember hearing a while back that the rubber suspension as it softens/wears lets the wheels lose their alignment & go into a toe out situation hence quick scrubbing out of tyres & extra drag trying to run em a bit side on so to speak.
Not sure if it was alko they referred to!
AnswerID: 101189

Reply By: gregr - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 13:05

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 13:05
hey pce its a bu**er is it not
the van looks the goods for medium off road 4x4 work particularly for an older codger like me who likes a bit of comfort these days but the alko suspension is only reasonably relaible and then only for sealed roads - so we chickened out and
thats why we did not buy one - but its your call and your decision - and your money around $40K plus extras

if you buy one i would also suggest you could maybe consider to order a spare alko axle which we thought about doing just to have one availbale in the garage at home if something went and stuffed up on a trip - as things do
but it makes the whole thing pretty bl**dy expensive yes

i cant understand why they build a reasonably good off road van and then put a sus suspension under it

but then i cant understand why nissan put a sus 3-.0 litre diesel in the gu patrol which i then went and bought in good faith - so far mine has been pretty good and i have extended warrty but kind of waiting for something bad to happen

good luck with your decision
see you greg
AnswerID: 101207

Follow Up By: pce - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 18:17

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 18:17
Greg
Thanks for your response, agree it is unfortunate. Can I ask what you tow? We are looking for something that tows really easily, offers the "comforts of home" and goes off road sufficiently to get into most National Parks and allow us to travel pretty much wherever we please. As you say the Xpedition looks good apart from the suspension. I have looked at a few South African forums (it has been sold there as the Xplorer for 5-6 years) and has a good following with no reports of suspension disaster. There is one grizzle about light weight internal cabinetry etc. coming apart on very rough roads but other than that it seems well thought of.
Can't say the idea of a spare axle in garage thrills me much!
Regards
pce
FollowupID: 359221

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:07

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:07
Does it have Al-Ko suspension in South Africa??
FollowupID: 359227

Reply By: Farmer Jones (ret) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:37

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:37
Alko suspension on my grandsons bike trailer would be great
Look around and find all the failed Alko suspensions and ones that have gone soft.

For the money of a Jurgens you can get a custom built off-road pop top caravan with everything. Nothing to unpack or do anything when you stop tired.
I had a TVan previously and thankfully sold the thing at a good price.
Depends how old you are what you want and what you understand by the term 'off road'. I take my poptop on bush tracks gravel roads and anywhere I can. Towing anything seriously limits your so called 'off road' capability. I think there has been to much salesman talk about this off road stuff. Get real and think about where and how you are going to use this camper/poptop/popup/popout
AnswerID: 101239

Reply By: gregr - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 16:20

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 16:20
hi pce
to answer your query we tow a 2004 kimberley kamper classsic mariner with a 3.75 m tinney carried on the boat loader by a nissan 2001 3.0 litre T diesel patrol with a few extras on the patrol - air locker roof rack extra wheel and tyre etc

the nissan has been a very good vehicle no probs and bought new mid 2001 and even though this particular model has had its share of probs in the past its now done 120 K kms but i have extended warranty just in case

the kimberley has been a bl**dy pain the bum with quite few warranty probs and poor workmanship and an ongoing lousy taste in the water tank which kimberley seem to be unable or unwilling to fix under warranty - we have never been able to drink the water from it to this day

dont get me started on the kimberley - surfice to say we got a friday built one and its very heavy to tow off road particularly in sand as weight is 1500kgs and its ball weight is 250 kgs - we expected to be very very happy with it but we are not

good luck with your decision its not an easy choice
see you greg

AnswerID: 101326

Reply By: gregr - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:34

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:34
pce
maybe just have a quick look at the bushtracker off road caravan site www.bushtracker.com
i guess this is our ultimate aim a 16 ft / 17 ft tandem independent suspension bushtracker with hot shower loo and air conditioning when i get to retire in about five years time for me unless i win lotto of course
not cheap but they seem really really good - i have not been to see there factory but have had a look at a couple parked up near me in the past and was very impressed but they start at $48 K
maybe of some help
see you greg
AnswerID: 101341

Follow Up By: flappa - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:53

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:53
The only real problems with the bushtracker , is the size of the vehicle to tow it.

Once you get to the 16 odd footers , you need a Patrol or Cruiser to tow it , ONROAD , and something like a F250 to tow it offroad.

They are big heavy suckers.

The biggest my parents could get to tow with their GQ Patrol (Mov actually) was a 14ft one.

There are plenty out there being towed by Cruiser/Patrol , but I bet not one has been offroad , which sort of defeats the costs of buying one.

They aint for the faint hearted.
FollowupID: 359353

Sponsored Links